Monday, September 3, 2012

Fish Sculpture Installation


November 8, 2005

My neighbor, Paul, gave me a preserved tuna tail and I decided to use it in a whimsical piece. I used a large iron hoop for a fish body and suspended floating bones inside formed from flattened copper tubing. I made a pair of cartoon-like eyes from some smaller tubing and attached them slightly ahead of the body form. Inside the fish body I added a tiny fish figure representing food that had been eaten. The sculpture was supported on a large spring. That allowed the piece to slightly bounce and turn in the breeze to simulate swimming. Lee Ann and David liked the piece and bought it.




David and I loaded up the piece in my truck, secured it and headed to Brookline.






I unpacked and headed for the site they had selected. They had chosen an overhanging tree limb on the hillside above the pond.








Some things you don't realize until you see them for yourself. The tree was tall ... plus in was on the hillside ... and the ladder leaned out over the abyss!








Nothing to do but hang on to the ladder and pull it up ... and hope the wires hold it!


















One final adjustment and let it swing!










                         

Voila! Overlooking the pond and the Brookline hillsides ... 
I couldn't have asked for a better spot for my sculpture to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment