Friday, September 14, 2012

Artist Statement 2009


Every so often, I submit an application to display my work in a show. It's like shooting dice. Either your work is what the curator is looking for, or not. You can't be thin-skinned about it ... especially if you aren't hot stuff in the art world. Sometimes I leave my paintings in porta-potties. That should tip you off on the hot stuff scale for me. Nevertheless. I was accepted for a local show. I kept my expectations at success-generating levels. That is, anything else is gravy.

Game on. Must have an artist statement ... in case they ask ... it's what you do. Kinda like the tiger through the burning hoop. It's not that bad. Periodically, I need to revisit this task. It's about connecting what I do with language. I don't fully believe art is just what you see in a piece. I put something there. I'd like you to see that as well. There's more. There is a certain expectation of style. Artspeak. Game on. The statement is never done. It changes. So do I. The artist statement for the August show is below:


Artist’s Statement:

Most recently, I have been working on sculptures that incorporate a mixture of both natural and found objects. Typically, my pieces are composed of some combination of local stone, barn board, driftwood, rusted metal objects or other found items. When I create a piece, there is often an underlying theme, which fuels my imagination, but which may, or may not, be apparent to the viewer. I am equally influenced by the complexities of the human spirit. Just as the multiplicity of layers of our personal experiences create that unique compilation we call “self”, I frequently utilize a similar layering effect within my work. I find that I am emotionally drawn to contrast and contradiction in a piece of artwork. Contrast and contradiction in a piece is like uncovering a hidden treasure … it’s like an unexpected conversation. These conversations are the essence of what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment