Thursday, September 6, 2012

Easter Basket from Hell


Though we are now in our sixty's, Anne and I have continued to give one another Easter baskets for over 40 years. Maybe it is because we didn't have kids. Maybe it is because we were senile at an early age. Most probably, it is because we needed an excuse to buy lots of sweets and candy.

Nevertheless, I shall not waste your time trying to justify we I do certain things. I will say, however,  that over the years, I have tried to provide Easter baskets for Anne that are a bit more unique. Some years it was odd items in the basket ... anything from dried navy beans to chocolate covered ants. One year, I made a barbed wire basket. I rather "pointed" statement I would say.

More recently, the basket theme was "demented". I thought about demons emerging from our past to inset themselves into our holiday festivities. All it took was a few props to set the scene.






I used on of Anne's mom's old 40's feathered hats (red of course) as a symbol of emergence from the past.


The basket was filled with a variety of candies and small gifts. However, astride it all was the demon doll.


















My friend Nancy gave me this doll  a few years ago. It is the most disturbing doll I have ever seen. The hair is frazzled and the eyes are piercing and sinister. I can't imagine what kind of mother would give this doll to her child. It looks like something Baby Jane's sister might have given her. Whatever happened to her anyway?





It was  a simply task to fashion some bunny ears, a cotton tail and a cigarette for the doll for effect. I posed the naked doll astride a box of Reese's pieces. I liked the play on words that it brought to mind. I threw a couple of doll faces and stray arms and legs into the basket and it was done.






Happy Easter Anne!

No comments:

Post a Comment