Tuesday, March 16, 2010

CHINA PROJECT: DRAGON STONE


A significant part of what I try to do with a piece in a project like this is to somehow link a visual representation symbolically with some aspect of the Chinese history or lore. In this case, I wanted to link to the use of dragons in the Chinese legends and lore. I chose to do this with one of my hanging stones. I chose a stone with a rectangular shape that would represent the elongated face of a dragon. To this, I added a pairs of ram-like horns to the sides. These I fashioned by coiling copper tubing and then pounding it flat. I used several sections of wire bent to resemble lightning or fast-moving air and place them atop the head to give a sense of hot air rushing backward from the dragon’s breath. The final adaptations were the Chinese symbol hanging beneath the head and red flowing hair from the top. My usual hanging stone beads and feathers finalized the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment