Tuesday, March 16, 2010

CHINA PROJECT: DRAGON MEMORY LOG


My favorite piece in the China Project Series is the Dragon Memory Stick. I had about a 4-foot length of driftwood that had a snake-like shape with its head slightly raised. I added tuffs of red wire bundles and ruted bells to add a bit of color and burned in two eyes. I made a list of about 100 things that I did while on the China trip in the format of “I action verb object”. ”I walked on the Great Wall of China” and “I ate the duck’s head at the Peking Duck dinner” are two examples. These statements were written on the log and then burned into the wood. The entire circumference of the log was covered. A stand was made to hold the memory log by reversing two similar driftwood V-branches and securing them to a base. When used with groups of students, the statements on the log served as both catalysts for discussions and to encourage the viewer to add their own experiences in their own travels.

This piece has found a home in my living room and it brings back fond memories of the trip each time I look at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment